allard real estate
July 8, 2020 - Wednesday - Today we were in Highland, CA, which is the first town heading north from Redlands. It's not as old as either Redlands or Riverside, but we wanted to see some of its older buildings in the historic downtown area. Unfortunately, almost none of the buildings we saw today have been dated by the local historical society. However, Highland was originally settled in 1856 and we found out from the local residents that most of the homes in this area were built between 1904 and 1906.
6995 Palm - First Congregational Church (1886)
6996-98 Palm - Dr. Clifton Browning home and office
6990 Palm modern
6978 Palm - Spanish Colonial Revival home
This was a bank at one time.
6944 Palm - Flying A Gas Station
27278 Main - Roberts Block was formerly a restaurant and grocery store.
27276 Main - Dr. John Evans residence and office
27281 Main - (1904) no original owner information
27273 Main Cottage house owned by John Yarnell
27263 Main - John Yarnell house
27268 Main - Lewis Seymour Steele house
27258 Main - Richardson house
27254 Main - Meeting Hall and Knights of Pythias Hall, converted to a single family.
27241 Main - G. Thomas Hensley house
27235 Main - Martin Randall house - This gentleman told us all about the area. His family seems to own every other house on the block. His son brought out the original subdivision plan of the area.
All the dots on the plan show the locations of the orange groves in the area.
27234 Main traditional bungalow
27221 Main - Congregational Church Parsonage
27215 Main - Rufus Longmire house
27220 Main - Fred and Nelly Cram house
27206 Main T-shaped house
27205 Main - Frank and son Harry Welton house
6952 Cole - David and Mary Seeley house
27193 Pacific - Maddox family home, owned a cash store in town
27216 Pacific - Methodist Episcopal Church
27197 Pacific - Cora Desmond Jones and Attorney George Warren Taylor house
27215 Pacific - Rohrer family and Judge Moore
27227 Pacific (this is a total remodel).
27232 Pacific - Cora Desmond Jones and Attorney George Warren Taylor house
27247 Pacific - Ethel Nichols family
27257 Pacific - Ed Toeppler house, a local druggist
27265 Pacific - Rogers family
6025 Palm - Sewall Garage (1930) Ford dealership
6917 Palm - (1950) The Belle Bar
6936 Palm - Linville house
6939 Palm - (1926) - Highland's Women Club and Public Library
We ended up on the east side of the historic district to see what's left of "Packing House Row." Oranges were a big business here and these buildings were built around 1910.
It was a wonderful morning!
Send emails to
any questions or comments you have
about this web site.